Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Twist and Shout

Emerson has started this new...I'll call it behavior, but I'm hoping it's just a phase. When I put her on her changing pad to change her diaper or get her dressed she works desperately to twist away from me. I mean, this kid is MAD to turn over and get away from me, stark naked. When I pick her up to reposition her she arches her little body away from me. I'm pretty sure it's just a game for her but I swear I'm accidently going to break her clean in two if she keeps it up. This is just as I've gotten her past the need to open and close, forty bazillion times a day, each door she passes.

It makes me realize that each phase a child goes through is a challenge and those challenges stack up, one right after the other, so quickly you don't have time to really process them. You think "if I can just get through this phase..." But you know what? The next phase is EVEN WORSE. Next she'll be grabbing my car keys and toddling out the door to hit the bars. Or picking up inappropriate guys, the ones with tattoos and piercings, and I'll be snatching lit cigarettes out of her two year-old fingers and telling her that putting Mommy's chardonnay in her sippy cups is JUST NOT acceptable behavior.

In the meantime, if someone has ideas to help me change her diaper without causing irreparable harm or permanent paralysis I'd be mighty grateful.

1 comment:

Tigriswillreign said...

I'm having the same issue with my 10-month-old daughter!

If no one is around to help with restraint and the change pad buckle isn't helping, I resort to the following: put them on the floor and sit on them! Seriously, hover your butt over their chest so they can't twist over or grab a handful of pooh. Meanwhile, frantically change the diaper as babies don't tend to enjoy this!

Don't worry, this phase is temporary but it may come back to haunt you when she's a little older. My son had two distinct "fight the diaper change" periods.