Friday, June 27, 2008

The Full Monty

I've never been much for working out. I'll go in spurts, sign up at a gym and work out for a few months, but something always distracts me and I miss a few days, then a few days more, then suddenly it's been 6 months and at that point, really, what's the point of starting back? Come on, you know you've been there.

This past January when we moved back to the beach, Hubs wanted to get a family gym membership. "Family" meaning "parents" because the kids are way too short to use the elliptical. Hubs ranted on and on about it until I finally agreed that yes, if he bought the membership I would go and work out. And because they track your visits and it's accessible by internet, I knew I was trapped. I at least had to show up a few times a week and swipe my membership card through the little credit card thingy like they have at the grocery store in case Hubs was checking.

You know what? I did it! I have been faithfully working out a few times a week and I have come to love it. To need it. To actually feel jittery and twitchy if I don't get to the gym. I think it may have something to do with the fact I'm hitting a big milestone birthday this year and I've realized that I need to do something, ANYTHING, to get into shape.

I love the gym where I work out. Yoga? Check. Pilates? Check. Racquetball? Check. Stuff I actually use, like the elliptical and weights? Check and Check! Best part is - it isn't full of hard bodies. I used to work out at the same place where the strippers at the local club work out. They have free memberships because they bring in business. I hate them. I mean, no one with 4% body fat could possibly have boobs that big unless they bought them. And please, enough with the fake tans. You are ORANGE for pete's sake.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Yes, I love my gym. EXCEPT. I have noticed that there are several women who really have no problems walking around naked. Bare-ass naked. And I don't mean they modestly stand with their backs to the room while they put on their bra and undies. I mean they sit on the benches whilst applying lotion to their TOTALLY NAKED selves and chat.

I'm a little in awe that these women are so comfortable with their bodies. It is a sad truth that today's society puts too much emphasis on women being skinny-skinny rather than healthy and fit. So many women have poor body images and I'm proud of these naked-women-at-the-gym for not falling into that trap.

But I'll admit it makes me a tad uncomfortable to walk into the dressing room when I know that a totally naked rear-end has just left the bench where I will be sitting to put my shoes on.

1 comment:

Tigriswillreign said...

This is totally hilarious and true! I've been there. Congratulations to you!