Monday, June 23, 2008

Back home

We met my parents yesterday at a restaurant half-way between our respective towns to pick up Thomas. I was so happy to see him that I squeezed and squeezed him until he started trying to squirm out of my arms. Then I squeezed him some more. He may not have missed me but I missed the hell out of him. I know the boy had a mah-velous time while he was there because the look on his face when he saw his sister was priceless.



It's the look of fear. The thoughts running through his head are so clear. "Oh, not her. She's going to tackle me. She's going to screech and grab my shirt and pull me over. GET ME OUT OF HERE." Emmie, on the other hand, was delighted to see Thomas and kept offering him food. I find that such an interesting comment on human social behavior. Think about it. When we get together with friends it is usually to have a meal. After weddings and funerals we feed the guests. Offering food is a gesture that needs no words and has universal meaning - You are my friend. Here is a piece of mashed-up banana to prove it.

1 comment:

Tigriswillreign said...

It's so funny how we want a break from them and then we can't believe how much we miss them when we do! I think it's so cute how Emmie welcomed him home.